Interesting subject line you may ask! Maybe not! LOL. Either way I thought it would be a great idea to talk about such things as plants. Most importantly those that are poisonous.
How many of us actually think about plants? No not what ones we would like to plant in front of our homes, or have in a vase or even a planter box! I am talking about when we are out and about shopping!
Are we aware of such things! Making sure that are service animals are not up close and personal! Although if they are like my dogs they may still love to take a sniff or two when passing on by. Smelling the aroma! Nevertheless the danger is still there, especially when in a garden shop as I was the other day as people do not think about having these plants not be at child level! That is our furbabies! lol.
Yes I was out shopping for planting in my front yard and like all my dogs from the pass sniffing is always there! Lol!
I cannot tell all the time what one plant is verses anther plant so I must always be totally in tune with my sd's so that I know what they are doing or maybe even thinking, even though they should never grab things there are always that chance as dogs think on their own and at times get visited by the brain fairy! lol.
So below is just a few plants that we should watch out for:
17 Most- Poisonous Plants
Amaryllis Common garden plants popular around Easter, Amaryllis species contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.
Autumn Crocus Ingestion of Colchicum autumnale by pets can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression.
Azalea/Rhododendron Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.
English Ivy Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy, Hedera helix contains triterpenoid saponins that, should pets ingest, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.
Lilies Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.
For a more complete listing please visit:
Poisonous Plants
While your there check out the other boards there for it has lots of interesting stories, articles and information.
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment